Apr 19 , 2023
Being a teenager comes with many difficulties, bad skin does NOT need to be one of them. During our teenage years, our skin tends to be at its worst and this is due to the fact that our oil glands get stimulated when hormones become active during puberty. It is vital to have a skincare routine that works for YOU during these years, bearing in mind that what works for your friend - might not work for you. It is important to stop pimples and acne from forming because prevention is always better than searching for a cure once the damage is done.
Read on if you’d like to know what skincare tips Dermatologists recommend for teenagers.
- Keep your skincare routine as simple as possible: A good skincare routine does mean a skincare routine with many steps. It is recommended that you wash your face twice a day, morning and night. You’ll also want to wash your face after playing sports or working up a sweat. You should use your finger tips to apply product to your face and wash your face - due to the fact that washcloths and sponges can cause irritation.
- Do not let your acne get severe - tackle it early on: Acne is most common during puberty, due to the fact that our hormones go into overdrive during those years. If you start having a minor breakout, tackle that right away. It is important to know which skincare product will assist you with different issues. Benzoyl peroxide decreases acne bacteria. Retinoids unclog pores and reduce oiliness. Salicylic acid eases inflammation and unclogs pores as well.
- Eat a balanced diet: Sugary drinks are not your friend during puberty! Cool drinks, treats and fast food can make your skin a lot worse. These unhealthy foods and drinks should be consumed in moderation. It is important to eat your fruits and vegetables, as well as your lean proteins and your carb-rich foods. Drinking water is also extremely important. Make sure to stay hydrated throughout the day, keeping a water bottle with you at all times is highly recommended.
Other tips include:
- Using non-comedogenic products
- Wearing sunscreen everyday
- Washing your makeup off before bed
- Washing your pillow cases and sheets
- Acne/ bad skin can negatively impact one’s confidence during the teenage years. It is important to know how to take care of your skin from the start so that you do not have to spend thousands of Rands on repairing severe issues later on.